Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Slowester

I was visiting a classroom today, and they were learning -er and -est. One of the examples the teacher gave was using the word slow. You know, slow, slower and slowest.

What is the next step after "slowest?" Slowester? That is where Dennis is at, right now. Slowester.

Even though I observe it right before my eyes, I cannot comprehend how laborious every single act of movement is for Dennis. A simple act that takes most of us a moment or two can end up carving out two hours for Dennis.

I stopped at the grocery store after work today to purchase a few items. When I arrived at home, I put everything away, but I overlooked the Coke. I moved off to change clothes, put dinner in the oven, and start up my computer. Next I checked my email - 24 messages, delete 20, read 3, save 1 for when I have more energy - then off to write my blog.

In the background I hear the groaning and grunting of Dennis. His back has been hurting again, and he claims making noise is his method of coping with the pain. Therefore, I have been trying to ignore these annoying noises, and did not pay any attention to what he was doing. This is my way of coping.

Finally, I turn around and see him bent over in front of the open refrigerator. He had spent the last 30 minutes opening the box of Coke and then putting it in the fridge.

Dennis wants to do as much as he is able by himself. I admire the heck out of him for this. It is difficult, however, when I can do something in 30 seconds that takes him up to an hour to accomplish, not to step in and take over. Some days, I do take over. Some days, I am happy to let him do it all on his own. And then, there are some days, that I just want everything to be like it was 3 years ago.

Until Tomorrow,
Ann and Dennis
Living with Shy-Drager, MSA and Living the Slow Life

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Ann~ Bless you, bless you, bless you....I bet you're pulling patience out of the air.

My husband had a couple of back surgeries, I know, not even the same kind of thing at all, but while I have SOME patience, I just wanted him to get up and MOVE. I think it's so difficult even if we are patient, to hear the noise, or have to wait, or are on a deadline or whatever. In this you surely must find an incredible blessing in some aspects. I would love to hear.

DreamrKate@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

HOW I GOT CURED FROM MULTIPLE SYSTEM ATROPHY DISEASE..
My name is Robert Williams, I thought i should share this here as someone may need this information; I was diagnosed of Multiple system Atrophy in February 2013, my doctor told me it has no permanent cure, i was given some medications to ease the situation, this continued till a friend of mine told me about Dr Odi from Africa who cured her father of Multiple System Atrophy disease and Glaucoma. I contacted this herbal doctor and bought the herbal medicine from him, i received it within 6 days and applied it as prescribed and was totally cured within 19 days of usage. my life is back again! Contact this herbal doctor via his email oyeyetemple@gmail.com or call +2348115531558