Friday, October 17, 2008

A Way of Thinking?

When I first began teaching, in my mid-30's, I was a bit down on staff for taking personal days for vacations. It seemed to me that we had plenty of time off with our scheduled school breaks. Of course, I had just left a career where I worked 7 days a week, 51 weeks out of the year.

Perhaps, if had known then what I know now? Or, maybe it's more about age, than experience? What ever the underlying reasons, I now subscribe to the use-what-you-have before-you-lose-it, way of thinking. I actually believe, now, that those days are there for a real reason: sometimes you just need them.

We are leaving, in about a month, for a 2 week stay in London. We considered going over winter break, but Jane and Ralph are coming to the states, this Christmas. We don't know, right now, how many more trips Dennis has in his future. We hope it is many, but it may only be several.

I am good at my job. I am respected by my peers and my superiors. I also may be described as too outspoken, a bit arrogant, and a few other less attractive adjectives. But I am good.

I am confident, that the only way that I can continue to be my best, at work and at home, is to feed my own needs. I need, and want, this break and this time with my sister. I need Dennis to be happy, and travel makes him happy. Well, me, too, but that is just an added benefit.

I have set up this school's climate for success. I am confident, with a bit of luck, that everything will be just fine until I return.

Perhaps, after all, it is really only my confidence level that has changed?

Until Tommorow,
Ann and Dennis

No comments: