Monday, October 13, 2008

Groceries

I was happy when Dennis told me this morning, that he was not leaving the flat today. It was a grocery shopping, and taking him to the grocery store is no longer easy. It's the wheel chair problem.

If we are only picking a few items, we can place a basket in his lap and fill it up. He doesn't mind being a pack mule every once in a while. If I remember to bring the plastic, reusable grocery bag, we can handle a larger load.

But today was a replenish the pantry and the freezer, shopping day.

A few weeks ago, we tried having Dennis push the cart, while I pushed him. It was moderately successful. While we did not knock over any displays, or old people, we did manage to force a few people to back up the aisle. We also irritated a few customers, and created a minor scene over by the bakery, when Dennis spotted the pies.

I wasn't relishing repeating the whole experience, so I did it, willingly, on my own.

Grocery shopping, like so many aspects of our lives, has changed for us since Dennis was diagnosed with Parkinson's. Some of these changes don't matter to either of us, but this is one that is a bit tough.

Dennis likes picking out food - especially junk food. I am not a huge fan of grocery shopping. To me, it just means more work. First you shop, then you carry, then you put the groceries away. As if all of isn't enough, then I am stuck with having to cook the stuff.


Enough whining already. I have a turkey to bake!

Until Tomorrow,
Ann and Dennis

No comments: