Friday, October 3, 2008

Club CREATE

Dennis went to Club CREATE today, and met another man with Shy-Drager. John, was diagnosed with Shy-Drager eight years ago. He was given, at that time, one year to live. Yet, he was there, today, talking with Dennis.

Hope abounds!

Going to the Struther's Clinic once a week for Club CREATE, wasn't something Dennis really wanted to do this year. He attended a few times last year, but always came home each time with mixed feelings. He has gone most Thursdays, since I started work in September, and each time he seems to like it better.

It must be difficult to join a group where everyone is "sick." At the same time, there must be some comfort in being around people who are suffering similar symptoms as you.

I have picked Dennis up a few times, and I must say I understand why it would be encouraging and frightening at the same time. All of these strangers are everywhere with symptoms that are worse than your own. On the other hand, may are just different. Or maybe the are honestly in better shape than you, but you do not see yourself when you see at the other individual.

I can't relate, totally, to what Dennis is going through, but I can and do have empathy. Next, add to that all this love stuff, and I think I get it pretty well.

I want Dennis to live 8 years beyond his life expectancy. Happy, healthy and loving years.

Until tommorow,
Ann and Dennis, living with Shy-Drager, Multiple System Atrophy and hope for many more years together.

No comments: