Saturday, October 25, 2008

Out with the Old, In with the New?

I do believe that Fridays have become out the question for the purpose of writing. I am tired, relaxed, and hungry and out of ideas by Friday. By Saturday afternoon, I have rallied and am ready to take on the world, once again.

This Friday afternoon, I had an extra excuse for missing blogging.

Dennis had a brand new laptop waiting for me when I came home from work.

I am not sure that I know the brand, but from here, I can see the box that says "The Computer is Personal, Again." It also is loaded with Intel, so I know it is PC. Actually, it's not cute, so I knew it wasn't a Mac. After Mac, everything else just looks like a dorky computer.

I, like most people my age, want to remain current on what is available electronically these days. We are fairly computer savvy. We are still far from being computer nerds, but we do alright by ourselves.

So, we are DSL, and wireless, and multi-computered (right now we have 4 computers for the two of us), networked, and fully programmed.

Set-up was going well until I tried to hook up to the internet. We have a protected wireless connection that requires a random certification code be entered. Of course, neither of us knows that number. Dennis remembered where he had written it down, but neither of us could actually read the code. I just now remembered that I had to enter a number for a while after we moved here, but I also just cleaned out the basket where I store odds and ends bits of paper.

So, I am back on my old computer, once again.

I purchased my first personal computer when I returned to college in my 30's. Apple was just beginning to sell home computers and Franklin Companies had copied their idea and had lost a copy right law suit. About the same time, one of my grandmothers had died and left me a small sum of money. I bought the Franklin and a printer, from an overstock type store, for around $800.00. This was more than 20 years ago.

The computer Dennis bought me cost just about the same amount of money as my first computer.

I needed a desk and hutch for my first computer.

Now I need a lap.

It most likely took me an entire day to put together my first computer. Then I know I waited for a long time before the computer would boot up. It was loaded with a word processing program a few games and a program that contained card and banner maker, so I could print out a low resolution birthday card in about 5 minutes. I was very modern.

Okay, I obviously can get so much more, in less time, but it all comes at a cost.

I am still very modern, but I still need to wait a while before I can actually use my new computer. In the meantime, however, I have 3 other computers at my disposal.

So, back to my excuse for not writing yesterday. In with the new is fine, but don't throw the old out with the new. Or throw the baby out with the bathwater. Keep the old until the new has proven itself. Or at least until you have figured the new one out. Or, in other words, I had a new toy and I wanted to play.

Until Tomorrow,
Ann and Dennis

No comments: