Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My Parents

Last Friday, Dennis and I met my parents in North Hudson for lunch at a nice Italian restaurant. We have met for lunch several times this year, half-way between each of our homes. We don't live that far apart, less than a two hours drive. Still, these days, shaving off an hour or two on a round trip is easier for all of us.

When Dennis and I were in Paris, mom and dad were taking a walk, when mom tripped and fell to the ground. Mom has never been full of grace, and has fallen before. This time, though, she broke her arm just above the elbow and her front teeth chipped and pushed through her upper lip. Naturally, it was her right arm that broke, and she hasn't been able to do tasks skillfully with her left arm and hand.

Now it is eight weeks later, her cast was off, she has completed some physical therapy, her teeth are fixed and there is only a tiny bruise remaining on her lip. She looked good and could eat her entire meal.

It's fun, and often interesting, getting together with my parents. My mother's and Dennis' lives seem to parallel each other at times. My father and I are going through the same sort of issues, too. We all get frustrated with our partners in different ways, but there is so much empathy and understanding among all of us.

I am fortunate to have both of my parents still alive and reasonably healthy. Dennis thinks of them as his own parents, and loves them unconditionally, as I do. It's good to have family.

Until tomorrow,
Ann and Dennis
Living with Shy-Drager, Multiple System Atrophy and loving family

2 comments:

shoes said...

my wife has msa.she is 65 this year.she can barley speak unable to walk.it break my heart to see her this way.i dont know how long we have,god it hurts.

Ann said...

I am so sorry to hear this, shoes. It so hard to see the person you love deteriorate before your eyes. My blessings to you and your wife.