Saturday, October 18, 2008

Independence

Dennis and I went into Minneapolis for our Saturday morning breakfast. We have not yet found a local restaurant that meets our inner city appetites.

We ate at one of our old favorites, French Meadow Bakery, where I often run into someone I know. Today it was another teacher, off on a Saturday for a day with her sister and nieces.

It got me to thinking about independence.

Dennis is very dependent on others to help him with his day to day life. He still can dress himself, he still primps. He can, and does, get himself out of the flat and down to the front door for Metro Mobility. He is able to walk, with a walker, for a significant amount of time. He really can do a little of everything by himself, if necessary.

But, if he wants to accomplish more than one of those activities in any given day, he needs someone helping him. He is dependent on the aid of others.

Since, when I am not working, I am usually the one who is his helper, I have lost a different type of independence - spontaneous use of time.

For the most part, I am okay with my small loss of independence. There are times that I want time away that does not include work or chores. Dennis usually will find a way for me to get away for a few hours.

I can not do the same for Dennis. Sigh.

Until Tomorrow,
Ann and Dennis

No comments: