Wednesday, September 10, 2008

New Interventions

The nurses at the Struthers's Clinic have been working hard just to find solutions to Dennis' swallowing problems. No one is thrilled about him taking so much Rubinol to control his drooling, since it has the potential to lower his blood pressure even more. In addition to that, it does not appear to be working as well as we would hope.

Today one of the nurses called me and told me that we should try a new medication. It actually is for eyes, but somehow, if put under the tongue, it also works, for some, on controlling drooling and excessive saliva. He is also scheduled for a swallowing video session at the hospital. Neither of us has any clue what this involves, but Dennis is more than ready to give it a go.

I am amazed, sometimes, how much people are agreeable to help Dennis. So often, we focus on what doesn't work in health care. I can attest to the fact that there are many individuals are out here, wanting only to help others. We have found most people want to be humane and treat each individual case as exactly what it is - individual.

As skeptical as I am, I must say I am pleased with what I have seen happen, for Dennis, in our medical system. I will never say I like the final outcome, but I am pleased with the care he has received, so far.

Until tomorrow,
Ann and Dennis
Living with Multiple System Atrophy, Shy Drager and new possiblities

No comments: