Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Closing and Such

Oh, my. Sometimes as life gets easier, it gets more complicated. We are surrounded by all this terrific technology, but it seems, some days, it just gets more difficult.

We closed on our old house today. Everything went well. The were no complications or problems at all. The money, from the sale, was transferred into our account and for about three hours we were reasonably rich. But, alas, reality hits, and we had to pay off the line of credit we opened to purchase our new home. Dennis normally takes care of this stuff, because I don't deal successfully with money issues. That, and I have a hair trigger temper when it comes to phone conversations.

Unfortunately, his speaking was way off today, and when he attempted to take care of business over the phone, they could not comprehend him. Consequently, when I came home, I had to do the phone call.

I would think that transferring money from one account into another should be easy. We do all of our banking with the same bank, and have several accounts. We are, as they say in the biz, preferred customers. But, no. This was not easy or quick or at all efficient, and I did not feel like a preferred customer. Not one tiny, little bit.

The phone call racked up a total of 89 minutes. Yes, that is one hour and 29 minutes. I was transferred over 9 times, answered the same questions each time, and was given 2 different amounts for a payoff. How can this possibly happen?

Maybe it is just too many hierarchies. Each person was only allowed to do so much. I understand that the first person could not do everything, but by the time I was put in touch with the "elite" representative, I did not expect to be transferred "down" once again, just to repeat my account numbers, social security numbers and my secret question and answer, once again.

I only got a bit mad, once. And, that was with the person who finally could help me. For the record, I apologized. It just all seems to be so laborious to do the right thing, these days. Here, we had a loan we wanted to pay off, and no one wanted to take our money. I am not so cynical as to think they wanted to make more money from us by putting me off. I am skeptical enough to believe that many would have hung up and paid a bit more interest to obtain a few cooling off days.

It pains me that Dennis could not take care of this today. He so wanted to be the one to take care of all of this, and spare me that phone call. He knows how irritated I can get and how easily I can blow up. I admit, I did threaten, at one point, to move all of our money and accounts if I was transferred one more time. Guess what? That person did not transfer me again.

Ah, well, the house is sold, the money has been spent, and it is finally over. It has been a long spring and summer. And now it is fall. I believe I am ready to rest.

Until Tommorow,
Ann and Dennis
Living with Shy-Drager, Multiple System Atrophy, and only one home

No comments: