Friday, September 12, 2008

More About Saliva

I picked up a new prescription today for Dennis. It is actually an eye drop, but it seems to work for controlling excessive drooling, too. We don't care what it was originally made for, we just hope it works.

I was finally able to make contact with the nurses at the Struthers's Clinic. We talked about saliva pumps, this new med, depression and blah, blah, blah. I am pleased that the staff at the clinic really worked hard to find new solutions to this exasperating problem.

Dennis has also been scheduled for a video swallowing session at the hospital. We have no idea what this involves, but I am imagining all sorts of things that I never thought about previously. Do they put a camera down his throat? Do they measure the amount of saliva produced and then swallowed? It seems a peculiar test to me, but one I am anxious to learn more about.

I hope we will find an answer to the saliva issue. I have discovered that both of us can deal with answers that work, no matter how weird they may seem to the rest of the world. Just, please, keep managing the symptoms. We can live with the responses.

Until Tomorrow,
Ann and Dennis
Living with Shy-Drager, Multiple System Atrophy and Drooling and Saliva

No comments: