Thursday, September 25, 2008

Change, Change, Change

Things are changing quickly, once again. Dennis diet is changing and so is his ability to swallow. His blood pressure was low again this afternoon (60 over 40 something) and his PCA (my friend, JoAnn) was frightened. She is a new, and reluctuant participant in the Shy-Drager care-system, but she tries hard and loves Dennis because I love him.

I do "change" easier than Dennis does "change". There are even times that I thrive on change. But I am getting tired of adjusting and I can't imagine how difficult it is for someone who finds change more than a bit challenging.

Tonight I came home, after finding out around 24 hours ago about the drastic change in diet, and made a well done pasta dish. I just had begun to help Dennis adopt and adapt to al dente pasta. We are now back to mushy pasta with ground meat, or smooshy veggie, sauce.

Change does not have to be difficult. All I really need to do is go back to the basics, perhaps. Over cook, chop, chop, chop and cook a bit longer. Add salt, pepper if you are feeling risky and then cook a bit longer. Still not mushy enough? Cook just a little while longer.

Until tomorrow,
Ann and Dennis
Living with Shy-Drager, Multiple System Atrophy and a bad spell/grammer check (so sorry)

No comments: