Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Bit of My Humor Has Returned

Life is good once more!

I woke up today and truthfully wanted to get out of bed. Once I was out of bed, I had an urge for a cup of coffee. I not only had the energy to brew it, but I enjoyed every drop of it. An hour later, and my stomach is not saying, "what are you doing to me, woman?"

I really was so laid up that I forgot what it feels like to feel good. Today I remember. Yes!

This week will be about focusing on Dennis' recent diet, and how we can both eat what is good for us, short of me having to prepare two different new meals each day. I have figured out that mechanical soft actually means hacked up and quite wet. Wednesday, I made pasta and cooked the crap out of it. The sauce was spicy sausage in addition to lots of marinara. Dennis had no problems with it at all, the first night.

Thursday, there was no getting me out of bed to make supper after his PCA left, so Dennis heated up the pasta. He couldn't swallow it.

I was still in the "don't talk to me, don't touch me, pretend I don't exist" stage of being sick. I wasn't capable, or agreeable for that matter, to say, "add water and more sauce when you reheat the pasta in the microwave." I think he ate the apple sauce I purchased a few weeks back because it was on sale.

Dennis' speech therapist claims she has two cookbooks she recommends for soft-mechanical diets. I looked at Amazon.com and wasn't able to locate much, but there are a scattering. From what I could tell, they don't give me any more information than I already have. Fish is okay, if it is boneless. Mashed potatoes are in, but they must be soaked in gravy. Any other type of potato is out. Veggies and fruits require being cooked to mush. No more corn on the cob, my dear.

So, my dear friends and family, if you have any recipes that you would like to share, I am happy to try them out. Just remember, mushy, over-cooked, no bread, but spicy is okay. All of this is, naturally, subject to immediate change.

Until Tomorrow,
Ann and Dennis
Living with Shy-Drager, Multiple System Atrophy, Dysautonomias and a new diet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Anno and Dennis..
Glad to read that you are feeling better, Anno. Isn´t it wonderful when coffee tastes good again..and when it´s nice to get up in the morning? Especially after you´ve been sick!

What about chicken soup made into some sort of mush? I LOVE chicken soup and it makes me feel calmer..happier. I don´t know..just a thought.

I totally agree with you about the antidepressants. I mean they are there to be used..so why not use them? It seems that you, Dennis..have enough to contend with as it is. I hope that you can get them somehow.

Well..good luck with everything. I´ll be checking in again another time..

Love and hugs, iva/humlan