Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Mother Day

Today was a day with Mother. This means a 2 hour drive, a visit with repetitive conversations, a confused woman, and a woman who really, really needs to work hard on her patience. Today we were both able to laugh and hide our frustrations.

Mom is moving up to Minneapolis in two weeks to move into an assisted living apartment very near me. She wants to, which is a blessing, but she is overwhelmed. This is understandable. I have tried to take away as much of the decision making as possible, by choosing her apartment and setting up the details. She, however, was the one to make the final decision about changing the city she lives in for the rest of her life.

Today, I went to take care of some business, but also help her decide on what she would take. I told her she had room for 2 chairs and a table, and then asked which she would like to take. She couldn't decide. I told her she had room for art work, and should take 2 or 3 paintings. She told me to pick them out. Thankfully, I knew she liked the Cassatt and then she picked out a Picasso (that surprised me!).

I know this is hard. I know she really doesn't care what she is surrounded with in her new home. I really don't think she cares about much of anything, anymore. I think moving her into her own apartment with people her own age will be good for her. She is already talking about how she will go out of her way to meet other people. She was excited about "movie night" and thought she would like to take in some movies. Her attitude is good.

This post was a ramble, I know.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

No comments: