Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Doctors and Time

Dennis loves his general practitioner, Dr. Kieffer. He is thorough and kind, and always remembers the little pieces of personal information that you share with him. But, you must come to an appointment prepared to spend an hour or two in his room.

Yesterday, that hour or two became three hours.

Today, I took Dennis to a new dentist. He finally figured out that I was serious when I told him I would not drive for 30 minutes just so he could see his old dentist in Lakeville. He is very wary of change, and has a low threshold for pain. He was comfortable with his dentist. I, on the other hand, see the value in keeping a specific doctor in your life, but find the world of dentistry a bit less personal in nature.

The point is, the new dentist is a bit like Kiefer - thorough and kind, but slow. Dennis loved him! I finished my book, read a People magazine (one of my guilty doctor's office pleasures), shopped at a pharmacy and stared at CNN for over 3 hours, once again.

Tomorrow surgery is slated for 10:30. Of course, we will sit and wait for a while for his turn in the surgical room. Then, five minutes of surgery will take around 2 hours. Then a wait for him to wake up and become coherent once again, before another hour when he can be wheeled to his room.

I am actually a bit anxious about this surgery. I want it over, and finished. Oh, my! Where did this come from? I surprised myself by actually writing those two sentences. I thought I was becoming a rock and here I find out that I am actually quite human. Well, good. I can be a bit worried and everything is okay.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

No comments: