Monday, June 15, 2009

Money and Care

I have been trying to find my mother a decent place to live in an assisted living complex. It seems like it should be easy, but I am finding out that it is not. Every single place is completely different in what they offer. Some rooms have only a bed and a sitting area, others have full bathrooms and full kitchens, and yet others, have no private bathroom at all.

I remember last year when Dennis was in after care at a nursing facility, and how much he hated the place and the experience. It made him feel old and useless. I actually think he deteriorated more by staying in the facility than he would have had he been at home.

It also comes down to money. Private pay gets you a better place, but there is only so much money in this world. I can find better places in Minneapolis, but they are even more expensive.

It seems very unfair to me, given my mom's and Dennis' conditions, that money should be a factor in the type of care that they get. Shouldn't the sick and old get the best care, no matter what the financial status of the person? Something in our system is very broken.

No comments: