Thursday, June 4, 2009

Feeding Tube

Dennis has lost 30 pounds in the past year. The first 15 he was grateful to loose, the next 15, I was grateful he lost. It's easier for him to walk around, and much easier for me to help him get up and get around. However, it cannot keep going down and down.

Several people involved in Dennis' care have thrown around the idea of inserting a feeding tube. This seemed to me to be a last resort. I cannot fathom the idea of never being able to eat again. I don't think a world where Dennis is unable to eat pie is a world in which he wants to live. And how would he exist without ice cream?

But, yesterday, a visit with the speech therapist cleared up this whole feeding tube business. We found out it is really just a button that open and shuts, and nutrition is inserted via a needle, into the stomach. It is used more as a supplement to nutrition rather than a substitution for the whole enchilada. He can still eat, but when he is too tired to get all of his nutrition through edible food, we can stuff his belly full of liquid food.

I am feeling so much better about this whole business now. And, for those of you that expressed concern about my feeling overwhelmed the other day - thanks, and I am feeling much better.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

No comments: