Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What Say You?

Okay, this one is not about MSA. It's not about a movement disorder or anything related to any type of illness. It's about reading the fine print, and thinking beyond yourself whenever you sign anything. It's two completely unrelated stories, actually.

Story One
Dennis Messes Up

We were both so happy the day that Dennis received notice that he was eligible for Social Security Disability. We had worked many hours on his application and had heard so many horror stories about applications being rejected. We did little other than having our own personal celebration and looked forward to having some much needed income. We were told that he could COBRA his insurance for the next 18 months. Since he had been declared eligible as of July 2007, and it was now January 2009, we knew we were set.

Unfortunately, we did not read further. His insurance would be covered until July 2009 only. It seems the 6 months that we needed to wait to receive disability benefits, also were included in the insurance bit. There is no recourse. We had no legs to stand on since we did not declare the need for extended time, within 60 days within receiving notice that he was eligible for SSD.

Now we need to pay triple the cost for insurance for the next 6 months. Guaranteed High Risk State Insurance, they say. We are (pardon me, my tender eared friends) FUCKED. We have little income from Dennis, and now all of it will be put out to pay for his insurance. We shoulda read the fine print.

Story Two
Don't Die Without Telling EVERYONE

I understand that for some purposes it is important to have a death certificate when transferring ownership. Finances, for example. I am happy that my father's financial advisor demanded a death certificate before changing full ownership over to my mother. However, why in the world would the cable company need a copy of the death certificate before allowing changes in the contract? First, my sister had to hand deliver a death certificate to them before they would change Mother's system to basic cable. (She was having so much difficulty with all of the buttons). Then, today, I called to ask about how to do a favorites selection or parental control. She is still having difficulty with too many choices.

"I am sorry, who are you?"
"Ann Osterhus, daughter of Robert and Avyril."
"You are not on the account, only Robert."
"He died last month and we have turned in the death certificate."
"It's not on file, I must talk to him."
(lowering my voice) "I am dead, please talk to my daughter."
"That did not fool me. Dead people don't talk. What is your pin number?"
"I don't know. Dead people do not have a good memory."
"Don't sass me, boy!"
"Sorry, Ma'am. I am trying my best to be calm. God is rather mad at me for not fixing this before I died."
"So you knew you were going to die, and did not contact the cable company."

Somewhere in these two stories is an absurd connection. Both stories are true, by the way.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis



No comments: