Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Family Visit

I was just a tiny bit anxious about Dennis' sister, Donna, visiting us. We haven't seen his family for two years, and that was at Caroline's wedding in Boston two years ago. At that time, Dennis was still able to dance, if the song was slow and short and I led. He has changed dramatically since that wedding day in the fall.

Now pregnant, Caroline joined Louie and Donna on the drive from Chicago, Caroline's home, to Minneapolis to visit with Dennis and me. They arrived a few hours later than planned, and much more tired than they anticipated, so we kept it low key. We took the scenic route to Minnehaha Falls, and walked for some time. The three of them walked up and down the stairs for a photo opportunity, and then we headed back to our flat.

I let go of any anxiety by the time we arrived back home. No one had pulled me aside to ask me quiet questions. No one had given hidden side glances or small looks of pity. In fact, it seemed, everyone had their own lives to discuss, not just Dennis' tale of woe.

After a delicious dinner, lots of laughter and sharing old family stories, Dennis and I were left to reflect on the day. As we sat on the deck, sipping the last of our wine, I realized, once again, that we are not the center of everyone's world. No matter how Dennis is doing in his struggles, life does go on and on. Life is a wonderful gift, a gift to be cherished and enjoyed. Yesterday, we did both.

Until Tomorrow,
Ann and Dennis
Living, happily, with Multiple System Atrophy and Shy-Drager and family

No comments: