Thursday, July 24, 2008

Shopping

Dennis and I are usually quite good shopping partners. We both appreciate good quality and enjoy finding a bargain. Dennis is a more thorough shopper than me and likes to hang out in one store. I would rather visit several stores, sweeping through them quickly, until something catches my eye. To compensate for this, we used to each go our own way, meeting back up to compare and brag about our deals. We still do this to some extent, but it is not as easy as before. If we do split, I often come back to find someone else trying to generously assist him, confused by what he is saying.

Dennis loves Burlington Coat Factory, and I really dislike the store. Our condo is about one mile from a BCF, so we had to make a deal when we moved here. I would not take him to the store, at least not regularly. I get so bored, and worn out, watching him look at every single pair of pants and try on dozens of shoes. Then there are the coats, hundreds of them. He has at least three coats to each one of mine, and he still wants more. Needless to say, he could spend an hour or two simply looking at and trying on coats.

Yesterday was a gorgeous Minnesota day, so I suggested to Dennis that he and Raquel walk/wheel over to Burlington to shop. Dennis lit up brightly at this idea, and a plan was made. They would give me a call when they were done, if they were tired, so I could drive over to pick them up.

They left at 12:00 and called me at 3:00. Yes, Dennis found another coat, a pair of slippers, shorts, khakis and two rugs for the bathroom. Bargains galore! I would have been walking out squawking at Dennis. Raquel, on the other hand, was her same cheerful self. I needed to remind myself that she was being paid for tagging along and catering to every one of his whims.

Then they told me the good news. Dennis had used his wheel chair as a walker and walked the entire way to the store and the whole time he was in the store.

I must admit, that secretly I was doing a little happy dance because I knew he would be sleeping well that night.

Later we pondered how much motivation plays into his symptoms. For me, when I am not feeling fulfilled, I cannot get much done. I imagine it is so much more difficult for Dennis. He was wonderful on our recent vacation, and he will work hard again on our next trip. However, he shouldn't have to live from one vacation until the next, to feel fulfilled. If a small thing, like BCF, can get him walking and up and about, then we need to find more things to keep him motivated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Ann. Dennis' shopping expedition brought a smile. Having a BCF nearby must surely be a treat to a BCF shopaholic. 3 hours x 60 minutes into 7 means 25 shopping minutes for each item. That's speedo. I spent the whole day looking for yet another pair of shoes for the wedding and came home with none. I need someone like Dennis to help make this type of executive decisions for me :). xoxo from London.

God bless.
Lola

Anonymous said...

Lola, my good friend, the wedding is in a few short weeks! I am sending Dennis to London to speed up the action.

When you look at the expedition in mathematical terms, he certainly is a speedo!

Love you, girlfriend.