Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Ending Constipation

Let me caution you not to read this unless you really want to know about dealing with the day that constipation ends. Seriously, don't read it. Consider this an entry just for me. But, if you must, I promise to handle the topic with levity.

I am sitting here trying to write as I listen to Dennis do his infamous grunt and groan routine. It's not exactly music to my ears, but I have gotten used to it over the past year or so.

Going to the bathroom speedily has never been one of Dennis' strengths. He''s always been a newspaper in the bathroom kind of guy. He also has never been particularly quiet about his efforts and freely lets anyone else in the house know that he is struggling. Well, not anyone, but he certainly doesn't worry about letting out loud and savage sounds when I am in the house.

These days, he is just noisier and has taken up new habits, besides reading the sports section, while he is attempting to poop. This morning he ate half of his breakfast and cleaned out his shaver while sitting on the pot. I have never been able to drink a glass of water while doing my duty, let alone eat food. The noise, I can't start to find words that characterize the sounds. Let's just say it has gone from loud to down right animalistic in nature.

It's a day long adventure when Dennis' body ultimately decides to let loose. We can't leave the house because you never know when the real time has arrived. With MSA/SDS the warning for any bodily function deciding to work is brief. Often we have seconds, and more often multiple false alarms before the real bell starts a-ringing.

The end of a constipation episode is not my best loved day of the week. Nevertheless, it is almost done for a few days, and he can return to complaining about not being able to poop. Ah, isn't life beautiful?

Until Tomorrow,
Ann and Dennis

No comments: