Thursday, July 31, 2008

Fear

Fear is a word with both positive and negative aspects to it. On one hand, fear keeps a person from making foolish mistakes. Fear also keeps you from moving ahead in life.

When Dennis was falling constantly and hurting himself, the fear of breaking bones forced him to be more careful in his movements. That fear also brought about some depression and anxiety that debilitated him for some time.

When he was passing out fear forced me to call 911 and sent him to the hospital. A three week stint of laying down too much, brought the fear of being unable to walk again without a wheel chair. Dennis stopped walking.

He is braver these days. He began to walk a bit, using his chair as a walker, in Paris. These days he is back to using his walker almost every day. He is getting stronger, looking better and feeling better. As he gets surer of himself, I feel better, too.

Both of our fears have diminished, and they don't drive our lives every day and every minute. Some fear remains in the back of our heads, just waiting to find it's way back to the fore front. I want to push it all the way out of our heads, but I also know that fear serves a purpose. While it's far from my favorite emotion, I know that a bit of it protects us from making foolish mistakes. Too many fears, and neither of us will be living the good life.

For today, and as long into the future as we can manage, we will live without fear.

Until Tomorrow,
Ann and Dennis

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fear - sometimes fear is just plain silly. Silly when it keeps us from doing something. I haven't sent an email, made a phone call, or replied to a post yet for fear of what to say. Gosh, I haven't talked to you for such a long time, how are you? just doesn't seem to cut it. So, I'll just speak from my heart: I'm amazed at your love, strength, honesty, and courage. Sometimes speaking from the heart feels so vulnerable that I find it difficult, but I'm learning that it is all there is. And why would I want fear to stand in the way? Sending you both much love. Ann

Ann said...

Hey, Ann, it has been a long, long time, however I think of you often. And, saying, "how are you?", is just fine.
My love right back to you.
Ann