Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Minnesota Shopping Day

Today we went to IKEA,the first time Dennis has been out since we returned home. IKEA is where Dennis last worked and the job that he Cobra'ed his insurance from, thank God. His insurance is better than I have, and he only worked 10 hours a week. I work and work and work, and my co pays are quadruple what he pays, and his monthly payment is much less. European plans are so much better that US plans, at least when it comes to insurance.
We spent way too much money at IKEA, but with 4 foot plants and all those wonderful new windows we have, how could we resist? When you only pay 12 for a humongous plant, who cares how long it lasts? Of course, we bought lots of other stuff, too, but the plants are what sticks out for me.
This was the test drive for Dennis' wheelchair in Minnesota. Minnesota nice was on the line today. We will give it many more tests, this was IKEA after all, where everyone that comes is searching for a bargain and kindness takes a second chair. On a scale of 1-10, Minnesota nice rated a 5 today. Some of the people that remembered him stopped to say hello, and a gal that went through orientation with him, so many years ago, assisted him out of the store, but other than that, Minnesota nice did not shine through.
I miss holding hand with Dennis. We used to walk and walk and hold hands the whole time. It is very unmanageable to hold hands and push a chair at the same time. I have figured out that, at times, I can put my hands on his shoulders instead of the chair, but only if it is on a level run and only if there aren't people nearby. Anyway, it's different from holding hands.
Dennis told me I work too hard today. He woke me up at 3:30 because he had fallen on the floor when he was attempting to get up from bed to empty his leg bag; I had been too tired last night to change his day bag into his night bag. So, I guess, it was my own fault. Then he woke me up at 4:30, because his shoulders weren't covered, and he hates when his shoulders aren't covered. Then he stirred me again at 5:30 to empty his bag again. I really don't like any of this.
Then, at IKEA, I was pushing him and a cart, but only because we both bought too much. If we had stuck to the plan, and only looked for curtains (we didn't find any) and a rug for the front door, we would have been just fine. But, we hadn't been there for 7 months, and we had just moved, and we needed - NOTHING! - and we hadn't been shopping together for so long. Anyway, I would push the cart, go back and push him, and then I had to pack it all in the car, and then, empty it all out of the car, and then bring it all upstairs and put it all away. I can be grateful that he notices, that I, Ann, work too hard. Nevertheless, I know that I don't work near as hard as most individuals out there in this world. I know that I have got it good.
Until tommorow,
Ann and Dennis

No comments: