Monday, July 14, 2008

A Few Tidbits of Information on MSA, SDS

Writer's block already? I made a goal of writing in this blog, each day for a year. A week ago I began, and today I can't think of anything to write about. Oh, my, this could be a difficult goal to achieve.


I must, however, persevere. Perhaps a mini-dictionary on Shy-Drager and Multiple System Atrophy. Yes, I believe that would be appropriate.


Multiple System Atrophy, or MSA, is a progressive disorder with symptoms of autonomic nervous system failure (such as lightheadedness or fainting spells, constipation, erectile failure in men, and urinary retention) combined with tremor and rigidity, slurred speech, or loss of muscle coordination. Most of this information I lifted from the website, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Strokes. Dennis has all of these symptoms now.


Shy-Drager Syndrome, or SDS, seems to be out of fashion with the newest set of neurologists, but largely, it includes all of the above, plus orthostatic hypotension. This is a sudden, and large drop, in blood pressure upon moving from a seated or lying position to a standing position. Dennis experiences this symptom quite a bit. As a matter of fact, it was the symptom that landed him in the hospital and changed his diagnosis from Parkinson's to Shy-Drager or MSA.


Parkinson's Plus, what some neurologists are calling MSA, seems to be a way of keeping the Parkinson's label, but acknowledging that there is more to the disease than just tremor and rigidity, as is the case for many years with many Parkinson's patients.


The worst part about all of this is that MSA carries with it a death sentence, where Parkinson's does not. I know we are all going to die, but hopefully some of us will die peacefully in our sleep, and we will live to the ripe old age of 90. Most of us should, it seems. However, Dennis won't make it to 70, I am afraid.


Oh, drat, there I go again thinking about the future. Must live for today. Must live for today. Must live for today.


I will close for now. I want to wheel Dennis to the theater and watch a hilarious comedy. I need a laugh.


Until tommorow


Ann and Dennis

No comments: