Saturday, July 26, 2008

Care Giving

Dennis' Parkinson's clinic, The Struther's Clinic, provides many possibilities for clients to visit and take part in groups. Yesterday Dennis went to a one hour speech group with a dozen other patients and a speech therapist. He came home grouchy.

Today, he was scheduled to go to Club CREATE, a day long support group with many activities to select from, as well as lunch and snacks. He has only gone once in the past six months. He canceled at the last minute today, giving his social worker a lame excuse. I know what this is all about - he starts worrying about the future when he sees others that are in worse shape than him. He also prefers one-on-one attention and does not like groups where he does not get the exclusive attention of the care giving personnel.

Dennis does not understand how much I would like him to attend this program once in a while. Actually, it is more fitting to say that I need him to attend a group away from me once in a while. I had been looking forward to receiving a much needed break from care giving. Raquel is off today, tomorrow and the weekend, leaving me alone to do it all by myself.

He says he will attend occasionally when I am back at work. That is great, but does not help with my needs. I feel selfish and a bit guilty when I mention this stuff to him, but he always takes it in a good natured manner, even if he doesn't make any changes in his behavior. Having a PCA here helps, I can get out of the house, but I seldom get an opportunity to be in the house, alone.

The Courage Center is nearby, a great facility for the disabled, and they offer wheel chair floor hockey. Hopefully, I can find some nights for Dennis to play with the boys, giving me an occasional respite from care giving.

Until Tommorow,

Ann and Dennis

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Prayers and deep feelings of friendship are being sent to you dear girl. You are doing all you can to help your dear hubby. It is understanding that you need time to just sit and collect your self and thoughts and concentrate on you. Don't feel bad about it, Anno, it's just that in your world of loving your Dennis, you, too, need time to think of you.

Ann said...

Thank you Cindy. And please feel free to remind me of this once in a while.