Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Artist

I met up with my friend Ann, today, at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. They were having a show called, Foot in the Door. Anyone who lives in Minnesota was able to submit one piece of art for the show, as long it was smaller than one square foot. It made for a great variety of art work.

Ann and I are both trying to find the artist in ourselves. She has worked with a mentor for the past year to help move her forward and learn to call herself an artist. I posted my work here yesterday for the very same reason. It's so easy for all of us to say that which we are not, rather than what we are. Does that make sense?

I am a writer. No, I am not a Hemingway, but we already had one of those, haven't we. But I am a writer - I have written this Blog for several years now, and I have published a workbook on setting and meeting goals. So, I am a writer.

I am also an artist. I have painted all of my life. I did have one water color lesson many years ago, but otherwise I have no formal training. But, I have worked with inks, water colors, pastels, pencils, oils and lately acrylics. Therefore, I am an artist.

Back to Ann and I getting together. Val, a teacher that we both worked with many years ago, recently died. She and Ann were very close and Ann spent many hours with her during her last few months of life. At the funeral the family handed out copies of Val's Daily Mantra. Ann had saved me a copy and when I came home I read it and want to share it with all of you.

May today there be peace within.
May you trust that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith in yourself and others.
May you use the gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you.
May you be content with yourself just the way you are.
Let this knowledge settle into your bones and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise, and love.
It is there for every one of us.
Valerie Lyon

I feel like I always come home with a gift when I meet up with one of my girlfriends. Today Ann and I called ourselves artists. Today we lived up to much of Val's mantra. Today was an excellent day.

Until Later,
Ann and Dennis

1 comment:

Debra said...

Thanks for sharing that. I need to tack that up on my wall :)