Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sleep, Interrupted Again

Dennis woke up at midnight with a mouth full of saliva. He decided he had to get up and sit in his wheel chair and move into the living room.

I do NOT like to be woken up in the middle of the night. I am not nice, as a matter of fact, I am down right mean when something wakes me before I have my full eight.

I don't know what I said, but Dennis told me this morning that I intimated that no judge in the world would convict me if I were to kill him. I agree that is an unacceptable thing to say, but sleep really is that important to me. There is also the fact that he fell when I was trying to transfer him from bed to wheel chair. I was half asleep and he was unmedicated - not a great combination.

From that moment forward neither of were going to get any sleep.

He coughed, cleared his throat and sighed heavily for 2 hours. Finally he decided he wanted to come back to bed. Then he coughed, cleared his throat and sighed heavily, but this time right next to me. I finally go up and tried to sleep on the futon.

That is when kitty decided to play with the plastic balls with bells inside. My sister brought these over at Christmas time, and Shiva has never played with them. But last night she had the two balls bouncing back and forth on the floor right next to where I was attempting to sleep.

This morning, when we reviewed the situation, I told Dennis I would try to be nicer about midnight wake-ups, but I would make no promises. After all, I am far from perfect.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

PS, Yes, Lola. I was channeling Hendrix when I set up this new format.

2 comments:

mg said...

Ann,
I read your post aloud to Johnny, and we both laughed because you sound exactly like me. When he occasionally wakes me from a sound sleep, I turn into Medusa with snakes radiating from my head. I'm sure we (you and I)can use the insanity plea if it comes to that.

Debra said...

My dad was the same way Anne. My mom would wake him up all the time in the night. We ended up having a night nurse come. But nobody is nice when they are woke up. NOBODY! Take care