Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Hospice

We visited Dennis' general practitioner today. We had a load of questions, some possible answers and then we asked the tough question. Hospice Care?

A couple of years ago I participated in a survey on hospice care. I found out that very few people take advantage of all that hospice care has to offer. A person with a certain "death sentence" has up to six months to use hospice care. But there are exceptions. We are hoping that since we don't know when Dennis will die, that he will be able to have help come in for as long as he needs it. That may be one month or one year. Or maybe longer.

Most people take advantage of hospice care only in the last few days of their lives. But my understanding is that it can be so much more. I guess we will find out after our visit that is still to be set up. We have only taken the first steps - asking for help.

It's been a traumatic few days. Once again, by being open and honest with each other, I believe we have moved ahead once again. I hope that we are doing right by each other and that we are living best by keeping the movement going forward.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hospice people can be very supportive.

My understanding (at least it used to be that way) is that the doctor has to say that the patient is "expected" to live for 6 months or less. If they live longer, hospice continues. I hope that is still the case.

Dianne Schwartz said...

My father in law was on Hospice for over a year. He was determined to live to be 90 and he did. They are a godsend.

Ruth said...

Anne, my dad had hospice care, it was wonderful for my mom who was dad's only caregiver as I lived too far away to help. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and sending good vibes your way.

Mary Lou said...

Hospice was a great help for my Aunt. They would come out at any time if needed, besides the regular visits. Also, Hospice changed nurses on my Aunt--and my Aunt was able to get back the nurse that worked best for her. There is also Pallative Care, but not sure which Dennis needs at this time. Still needed family members to help, even with Hospice---but it was a wonderful program and gave my Uncle some peace of mind as far as my Aunt's health care was concerned.

Ann said...

Thank you, each of you. I was afraid to broach the topic with Dennis, but he was completely in agreement. We haven't been contacted yet, but I will keep you all in touch of next steps.

Ann

Anonymous said...

We had hospice in and they were a Godsend. With MSA, ALS and other diseases like this, as long as there is a decline, there doesn't have to be a number affixed to the time of death. My mother ended up having them for three months, but some people had been on it 2 years. Its hard, but it can really help with the quality of life.

Marlon said...

Hospice care is usually required if a patient has an illness that is not curable and if the patient wants to have emotional and spiritual support. A hospice care can give the patient hope for a peaceful death and quality time with his/her family.