Sunday, November 21, 2010

Death of a Friend

A very dear friend has died. Not of MSA, but of chronic mental illness.

Some of you may know her through some of my posts. Poppie was my "adopted" Irish daughter. We met online, but happily also met in person many times. We were together in London, where she fell in love with Dennis. We met again in Dublin and once again in London. I met her partner, Michelle and their son (my adopted grandson), too. I loved them all.

She wrote a poem for me - she was a poet like Dennis - after our first meeting. I want to share it with you today.


Mom…

I thought of you today..
As I often do in that misted dawn way
When light has yet to fully caress my eyes
Our sounds bless my ears…

made coffee and sang along to Ella,
musing as to why you were so memorable to me..
Moods swirled with the milk and sun surrounded
The window I adorned

and I concluded logically…..
to have dreamed you distant in time.
The tears that would follow,
cleansed a whole lifetime of grief

your words…only once heard…
and I hear a resonance of ’beautiful girl’
my face pressed against crisp cotton
to soak up the pool of  fresh love.

No shame in this feeling, for….
forever you have been suspended
in this child’s imagination…
I love you, for now being true.

My History of Art book
has pressed an early spring flower face
much more contented now.
the yellowed orb is appearing high in the sky
and drowning the cold of night.

Poppie

Oct 29th 07

4 comments:

Ruth said...

I am so shocked by the news and can only imagine how devastating it is to those who met her in person. I only knew her in the virtual world but knew her as a beautiful soul with so much talent. Ann, I am so sorry. ((((HUGS))))

Ann said...

Everyone loved Poppie - she had a heart as big as the moon.

Queen Jaw Jaw said...

I'm still wanting the news to go away and be a cruel joke, somehow. Poppie touched so many lives with her poetry, kindness and friendship. She never met a stranger and her mind and heart were always open...wide open. To know her was to love her. Rest well, my dear, sweet friend.

Dianne Schwartz said...

Annie, was this Poppie from BWS? What in the world happened? Can you email me about it. Bless her little heart.