Friday, July 30, 2010

Moose

moose Pictures, Images and Photos
We just returned from 3 nights on the North Shore of Lake Superior. We stayed in the small town of Grand Marias about 2 hours up the coastline. It was a beautiful drive. The town has suffered from our recession, and so many of the cute shops and restaurants were closed. One more sad reminder of how our economy has suffered.

One day we drove on the Gunflint Trail in hopes of sighting a moose. Dennis was in his babble, coughing and grunting mode for the entire two hour drive. Neither JoAnn or I could understand one word he was mumbling. Occasionally I would ask him what he was talking about, but it was not worth the effort to try and understand him. He was beyond participating in any real conversation.

I was driving very slow. One of the dirt roads we took had recently been graded. We felt like we were riding on top of a washboard. The second off road experience had not been graded, but instead was covered in rocks. There was no choice but to drive slow, enjoy the scenery and keep the eyes open for a moose.

We were just approaching a small body of water when Dennis said, "MOOSE!" Sure enough, there along the edge of the water was a large moose drinking water. The moose slowly took off when he heard the car and hid in the trees. We could see him hiding from us and we stayed for a while hoping he would return. The moose, however, took off for the woods after a few minutes and we drove on.

For the rest of the vacation we would tease Dennis with, "oooeeeeaaaa, uuuuaaaerrrrr, cough, cough, grunt, mmmmnnnnoooooouuuu, MOOSE!"

I am glad that he is such a good sport and laughed each and every day he teased.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

3 comments:

Ruth said...

That is so cool that you saw a moose! I love those chance sightings!

Unknown said...

Ann,

I just stumbled upon your blog due to a middle of the night wake-up from my husband, who also suffers from MSA. He was diagnosed in 2008 (4 opinions all said MSA) and another MSA diagnosis in 2010 (the doctor swore he did not have MSA but after the MRI the doc declared it so). He started having balance issues in 2006, but it turns out other stand alone symptoms that showed up years before were part of MSA--ED and overactive dreams. (He even broke my nose in his sleep.)

I have seen my husband go from working 70+ hour weeks a year ago to now walking with a walker, drooling, constipation, and all the other issues including the need to find Sam friendly furniture. He is only 53, I am 39 and we have a 11 year old boy. Every Sam has a new symptom pop up we all go through the stages of grief.

I too am a teacher and curse my husband in the middle of the night when I am awakened by his bathroom issues. I am dreading going back to work this next week as I am worried about Sam during the day. Of course I am looking forward to going back to work for some escape from what is at home.

Thank you for your blog. It is nice to know I am not the only one who is dealing with these issues.

Anonymous said...

Moose are big animals..they demand respect and their space. I love them. We get quite a few up here..with their calvs and then we have to be very careful..

Hugs!iva