Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Medical Bed

Dennis' medical bed is coming tomorrow. Unfortunately, it will not fit into our existing bedroom. And Dennis does not want his bed in one room and my bed in another. This meant that we needed to switch up the two bedrooms in our condo. His office would become our bedroom, and our bedroom would become his office.

Raquel and I spent Monday moving furniture, electronics, books and all of Dennis' other collections out of his office and into the living room. Then we moved the bedroom furniture into the office. I should say we tried to move the bed frame, but it broke apart as we were moving it. It was from IKEA and had already been through one disassemble and reassemble, and it didn't feel like doing it again.

So I need a new bed, too.

And a new body.

We had to carry the frame down two floors to the garbage area. That took four trips of carrying pieces of pressed board and metal down the hall, to the elevator and then across the garage to the dumping area. We filled up the dumpster and started piling up the rest of the bed next to the dumpster.

Then the dresser decided it had been through enough, too, and fell apart. Again, we hauled and tossed furniture that was being very uncooperative.

Of course, no one could be without the Internet, so I hooked up the computer in the new office as Raquel hooked up the TV in the new bedroom. It was quitting time - I was on the verge of crying for the first time since I retired last month.

But I couldn't relax. There was stuff piled up all around me in the living room. The new bedroom had a mattress on the floor and felt ugly. It was too hot and humid to sit on the deck for very long. I needed my tranquility back again. It wasn't going to come Monday, or Tuesday either, I found out.

Monday night Dennis talked in his sleep all night. Tuesday he started to "boss" me around. I left the house for some shopping therapy before I took one of those cords from one of the electronic devices and wrapped it around his neck and tugged hard.

A couple of hours later I felt better, but there would be no more moving on Tuesday.

Today is Wednesday, and Raquel is finishing up the office. We are all rested and feel much better. Tomorrow the medical bed will arrive, and we will see what needs to happen next in the bedroom. That will not be until next week however. I have enough bruises for this week, thank you very much.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

1 comment:

Chatty Lady said...

I am surprised that you could manage all that toting and lifting Anno. Will the delivery men put together any new bed you get. God I would hope so!

It's good you can just walk away from time to time and do some refreshing shopping. I believe the walking alone does some good by itself. Like I said before, you are Wonder Woman in my eyes.

Give your guy a hug and let me know if he needs a new lapghan.

Love You guys...