Saturday, June 26, 2010

Thick-It Tips

When ever we go anywhere, we always take thickener along so Dennis is able to drink. Dennis loves, loves his Coke and will also order a beer with dinner. Usually I ask the wait staff to fill the glass only 3/4 full, but that ends up in a confused look and always an explanation. So, if it is a beer, I will usually just drink the top off the beer. For Coke, I always go through the explanation; I dislike Coke as much as Dennis' loves it.

While we were on the cape, I trained Ralph to drink the first third of the beer. By the time we met up with Hamed and Ashley, Ralph was completely in the habit of helping out and did it automatically. While Ralph was drinking, and I was adding thickener, Jane was explaining to Hamed about why Ralph was drinking it and my assertion that every beverage reacted differently to the thickener.

Hamed then proposed a research study - Dennis and I could travel around the world testing different beers and how they responded to the thickener. While every beverage acts different to the thickener, every beer (in my humble experience) also reacts differently. So why not research the project, and save other thickener folks the messy problem of cleaning up a goopy, slippery and sloppy mess?

Sounded good until we figured the market for this research was probably low, and I really don't want to work for the government again, in any capacity - way too much paperwork. But, I could share my experiences with you.

Then I figured I could pass on other coping tools that we have discovered, used, and what value we found in any of these tools.

So, Number One Tip - Using thickener in beverages
  • No ice. None. Nada. Not one bit. As it melts, the thickener
  • Orange juice needs very little thickener - it keeps getting thicker and thicker
  • Use a whisk to mix - it goes much faster and the consistency is more even
  • With fizzy beverages, start with a glass half full and add thickener. Then add more pop with the head goes back down. Add more thickener if necessary and never fill the glass full until you are done adding the thickener.
  • Use half flat fizzy drinks if possible to start the process. Finish off the drink with a freshly opened drink.
  • Wines thicken nicely and there is no overflow problem.
  • Treat beer as you would pop - but remember, all beers are different. Go slow when adding mix.
  • If your doctor tells you to use thickener, do it. It may just save your life. 
  • There are many on-line dealers for Thick-It and if you purchase in bulk, it's not all that expensive.
  • Carry a small container of thickener where ever you go.
Do you have any suggestions? Do you have questions that we may have an idea about? Please feel free to email me or drop a comment. I am ready and willing to share or ask around.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

No comments: