Saturday, June 12, 2010

A Leak Springs Eternal

Dennis' J/G tube sprung a leak this morning while I was giving him his medications. I called the hospital and we have an appointment for 7AM on Monday. In the meantime, perhaps Duct Tape??

For those of you (most of you, I hope) that do not know what a J/G tube is, here is my best lay mans definition. It is a tube, about a 1/4 inch in circumference, that is divided in half. One half of the tube goes into his intestine, for night time feeding, and the other half into his stomach for medications. I think I may have been pushing to hard when trying to give him his meds, and the G side of the tube started spraying all over the place. A small hole had opened up in the G side.

G stands for gastro (stomach) and J stands for Jejunal, which must mean intestine. There is one more thingee hanging out, which is the control to the balloon that hold it in place.

I have tried to find a website that explains it better, but they are all too technical for me. Here is a picture of Dennis' tube contraption. Where Dennis' pointer finger site, is exactly where the leak began.

 Now we have a 7AM appointment at the hospital on Monday to get it replaced. Sigh. At least it is an easy surgery and we should be home by the time my 10AM dentist appointment comes around.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

No comments: