Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Past Falls

Since I wrote yesterday about Dennis' latest fall, I thought perhaps I would share stories about some of his falls over the past few years.

One of the first I remember was about three years ago. I came home from work and found him laying in a pool of Coke and blood on the kitchen floor. He had slipped off of the little stool in the kitchen where he was enjoying his newspaper. Once the cuts were cleaned and bandaged, and the bloody coke mess scrubbed away, we relaxed a little bit. However, we were both fairly shaken up.

Lesson learned? Do not lean down to retrieve the sports page from the floor if you are a forward tipper. I suppose if you are a backward tipper, or a sideways tipper, there would be certain positions to avoid, also.

One of the funniest (only in retrospect) was when Dennis decided to help out in the garden when I was gone for a short weekend.

I should let you know that all of these falls occurred before we knew that he had a more serious disease than Parkinson's Disease. It was also the beginning of a 3 year decline in Dennis' MSA. We were just beginning to question his diagnosis in the simplest of ways.

Anyway, there I was spending my once a summer weekend with a girlfriend at her lake home. When I came home, I found  the scratched and bruised face of Dennis. "Damn!"screamed in my brain as he told me the story.

It had been a hot weekend, and Dennis decided that he would hook up the hose to the elaborate watering system that I had created over the past few summers. I loved creating that garden, and Dennis was proud of my creation and newly discovered enthusiasm for outdoor gardening.

Again, he had leaned over to the ground for the hook up and fell smack dab in the middle of my rose bush garden! While getting himself up, he fell again onto some of the pavers that formed the walkway through the garden. At the time he was still able to pick himself up, but as the second fall shows, it was becoming more and more difficult.

As his face healed and we found our ability to laugh at his thorn torn face, we knew that we needed to find someone to stay with him when I was away. Another lesson learned the hard way.

As the falls increased, more lessons were learned. His falls three years ago led the the occasional use of a cane. He used them more as a toy most of the time, something to collect, but he needed them more than either of us were ready to admit.

The next series of falls led to his using a walker most of the time.

Then two years ago, before I started this Blog, his fall led him to the hospital and a short-term nursing home stay, the permanent use of a wheel chair and the discovery of his diagnosis of Shy-Drager. (Later to be re-diagnosed three more times before the MSA label was accepted by all doctors and the two of us)

Lesson learned? Live today.

I took him to Paris two weeks later. And that is where this blog began, almost 2 years ago.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

Here is a link to my first post. For those of you that are in earlier stages of MSA/SDS or any other movement disorder, some of the earlier posts might be of interest.
http://multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com/2008/07/is-it-parkinsons-or-msa-or-sds.html

2 comments:

Queen Jaw Jaw said...

It is just incredible reading about your journey. I love how you both can find the humor in such trying times. What strength of character and resilience you both have within. I'm learning so much here and it's strengthened my own resolve to live life to the nth degree. Thank you both. I mean it.

Ann said...

Some days, a person really needs to remind the self to live fully. I look forward to meeting you in person one day.