Thursday, June 10, 2010

Chocolate

Dennis has begun throwing up again at night. We are trying to decide if we should move his Nexium dose to later in the day, or keep him from eating for at least an hour before he goes to bed. The latter would be more difficult because there are days he is in bed by 4PM. Today he has a visit with his doctor, so we will have an opportunity to discuss some options. We also know that in the long run, we are the ones who really know Dennis best.

I bring this up because last night he asked me to come to bed to be with him at 6PM. I wasn't ready, and told him I would come at 7 if we could watch something we agreed upon. Then Dennis noticed that hockey was on, and I begged off and plopped myself in front of our other television. Naturally, every few minutes he was calling for me, because he had thrown up, again, and wanted me to clean up his mess.

One time, as I was cleaning up the latest smelly vomit, he asked me for chocolate. Now chocolate is not his friend on so many levels; chocolate makes him drool more, vomit more and he manages to get it all over his face, the sheets and the pillows. Eating it at night makes no sense, what-so-ever.

So what was my response? First laughter, then a solid "NO", and finally the statement, "you can have your chocolate for breakfast!"

Always, growing up, I wanted chocolate in the morning. Mother always said "no, you can have chocolate on Friday evenings only.

Is there some irony in this situation?

Until later,
Ann and Dennis



Support independent publishing: Buy this book on Lulu.

1 comment:

vivi3 said...

Hi! I have caught up with you guys..reading what I have missed. I have a glass of whiskey beside me..and I am philosophical..with a touch of humor..wondering how you are really coping..but I don´t need any answer to this. It is a rhetorical question. My real question is..did you get to Cape Cod?? These are my home places..and I can just imagine how beautiful it is there..peaceful and beautiful. The last time I was at Cape Cod, I spent the night on the beach with this gorgeous friend of mine that was joining the priesthood the next day..what can I say? Since then he has left this ministry and is married with several children of his own. But Cape Cod is place of dreams.. in any situation. Do write about your visit there..if you get there..

Sending lots of hugs and love
Humlan..from a rainy and chilly Sweden at present.

There is so much that I want to say..but I can´t get into the email part thru here..will have to try another way..maybe. You may not need to hear what I have to say anyway..