Thursday, October 22, 2009

Old

Thursday, sweet Thursday. It's the new Friday. But, I am not going out and "chilaxin'" at a bar with wings and music. I am just happy that I only have two responsibilities for one extra day. Oops, I forgot me. I only have three responsibilities on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays these days; mom, Dennis and me.

I am happy that I have 3 days to spread out my responsibilities instead of the traditional two weekend days. I am happy that the alarm can be set forward an extra hour. I am happy that Dennis and I have a few extra hours to spend together.

But it never feels enough. I have been in denial for quite a while now, that I am officially old. Somewhere, along the line, my parents became elderly and that made me, in turn, old. Dennis is old, beyond his years, and that makes me feel older, still.

There is buzz all around that 60 is the new 40, and 50 is the new thirty. Shit, that ain't true. Maybe if you go under the knife a few times each year, you could look a bit younger, but sooner or later you just look like an old person with tight skin. Or maybe if you keep a young attitude, you could feel younger, but your parents are still going to die and make you feel old.

When we were young, we were in weddings and partied with friends. Now, we attend funerals, and spend time in hospitals and nursing homes.

Still, I have 3 days off and I can only afford that because I am old.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

1 comment:

At Odds with Living said...

Ann,
I've never seen "Old" represented
better than you stated in your blog. How true it is!!