Friday, October 2, 2009

ER Episode 4 (or is it 5?)

I woke up this morning fever free! 3 cheers!

The household did not hold out long, however, before sickness struck again. At midnight, Dennis woke me up and wanted me to check his catheter. He thought it might be clogged. Since the night bag was dry, it was obvious he was clogged. We had two choices - wait until morning or go to ER. Dennis did not want to do either choice and we started a game of one-upping each other with words and thoughts I don't want to admit to online. I will only say that it wasn't pretty and that I hope we did not wake up the neighbors.

He has a bladder infection, again. It's easily treatable. And we should have seen this coming quite a long time ago. There definitely were signs.

A couple of weeks ago, during his last bout of diarrhea, his urine was almost black one morning. It was better the next day, so we forgot about it. He has been lethargic lately. The weather has changed, and I have been so sick, that we ignored that, too.

Then there was the nasty clot in his night bag that Raquel found this morning. I thought I had pulled the whole clot out of the tube and we planned on calling the urologist during the day. Only problem is, each of us thought the other was going to make the call.

We need to become better at handling situations such as this. The mean talk is uncalled for no matter what is happening. We need to watch for signs and act on them right away. Neither one of us have ever been people that run to a doctor for this, that and the other, but perhaps that needs to change.

Tomorrow, when the dust has settled, the prescription has been filled, and we have both had our 8 hours, we can talk. That's one thing about us that is great. We can always talk it out. And for that, I am extremely grateful.

No comments: