Wednesday, April 8, 2009

No Wonder I Am a Cynic

Yesterday, Dennis went to visit his family doctor. Dr. Keifer is the one who Cigna denied as a family practitioner, and held up a few of the insurance claims. I asked him about his credentials, and he told me he has been, always and only, a general practitioner. He has no ENT interest, let alone specialty. Should I call Cigna and let them know?

No.

Today, I went to the pharmacy to pick up one of Dennis' meds. His insurance refused to pay, because his coverage had been terminated.

I wish I could say nice words, but none come to mind.

So I came home, called Cigna, who told me I had to call Medco (his drug coverage), who told me I had to call ADP (where he sends his Cobra payments). I spent the next hour and a half on the phone, once more, talking pleasantly to people who try hard, but aren't able to accomplish much of anything.

I asked the guy, who happened to answer the phone at Cigna, how many calls had been placed on Dennis' behalf since January 1, 2009. Over 75 calls, most of them from one of us, have been generated to fix Dennis' insurance problems. This does not take into consideration the calls to ADP or his drug provider.

No wonder we have been sleeping so much during my spring break.

No comments: