Monday, April 20, 2009

New Changes

Raquel is off for three days on personal business. Our back-ups were unavailable, so I am home to be full time care-giver. Unfortunately, he does not see me as his PCA during this time, so I don't get paid. But I do get all of his undying attention.

Today we went to the urologist. Dennis has decided that he wants a different catheter; an upper pelvic cath. Instead of going through the penis to the bladder, this one goes directly to the bladder from below the belly button. It sounds strange, but not much stranger than anything else we have encountered over the past few years.

It was only a couple of years ago that Dennis began to collect canes. Just when his collection started getting interesting, more changes came along. It was diapers, layered, to prevent urine leaks. Next it was a walker, then a catheter, and now a wheel chair full time. He tucks his chin to drink, and mushes and chops his food to a "mechanical soft."

Ah, you have heard all of this before. It's just one more change, just one new and different experience. But we aren't living in his body, are we?

I am so sorry, Dennis, that your body has decided to fail you. Just know that you are still loved, and I am lucky to have you in my life.

No comments: