Saturday, January 24, 2009

What Are the Odds?

Friday was an interesting day. In fact, it was so interesting that I will write two different entries. Oh, wow! Your interest has really piqued, hasn't it?

I had an 8 am appointment with my doctor and Dennis had a 9 am appointment with the physical therapist at Courage Center. His Metro Mobility pickup was scheduled for 8:22 am. Raquel has been arriving around 7:35 am. I woke up a bit early to help Dennis get medicated and dressed so that he would be ready on time. It was a release day at work (teachers work, students do not attend), so if I was a bit late, it would not be a problem.

Everything was in order and should have gone smoothly. But, alas, life kicked in and gave a swift one in the butt.

Dennis' anti-constipation meds started working around midnight, and he had been up all night. He had been taking them for 2 days, so you never know when they will begin working. Except for the fact he had showered that afternoon, and the sheets had been changed, there was no other warning that Friday am would be the time for the crap to begin.

If you aren't reading between the lines, this all means that Dennis was a mess in the morning, he hadn't gotten much sleep (so natch, neither had I) and he needed extra time on the toilet and help with clean up.

All was well until 7:35. Raquel had not shown up. I called her. She was somewhere between here and there and driving. She does not have a license, if you remember. She said time wasn't an issue, since she could drive him to Courage Center. Only problem was, if he missed another Metro Ride (it's been a tough month), they have the option of kicking him out of the program. He needed to make that ride.

And I needed to make my own appointment. "I won't worry about what I have no control over." Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. I was going to the doctor and needed to keep my blood pressure down.

I made it to the clinic on time. The only thing was there were no lights on anywhere. The door was open, but there was no electricity. Which, in this day and age, means no lights, no computers, thus no doctor visits. If you can't find a patient on the computer, the patient does not exist. I couldn't even give the blood that I had fasted for and gave up my morning coffee so not to contaminate the results.

I left wondering, what are the odds? Well, actually, the odds that all of these events would happen are pretty good. Dennis is either constipated or pooping all of the time. Raquel is not dependable and flaky as all get out. Very few people can operate a business of any type, without electricity. So if one were to place a bet, one betting against all of this happening in one 2 hour period would most likely lose.

And that is how the day began.

1 comment:

Queen Jaw Jaw said...

Actually...the odds are pretty good considering that Mercury is retrograde. So far since it's retro beginning, Jan 11, I've had a water line in my yard burst, I've broken my ONLY pair of GOOD eyeglasses, the brakes on my car have gone out, and my puppy dog ate a rubber flip-flop while I wasn't home causing massive diarrhea. Mercury gratefully goes direct February 1st.

Thank God...I need the financial rest.