Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Obama, Our President

Since I work in a school, most of the people that I come in contact with during the day are hard-core democrats. Political talk is usually pretty one-sided and those few on the other end of the spectrum usually don't get involved in the conversation. So basically, I live my day life in a world where everyone pretty much agrees on who should be elected for any office.

I also teach in a poorer section of a metropolitan area, and most of our families are African American. We have a few other ethnicities represented, but for the most part, our students are black.

Yesterday, a school in North Minneapolis was the perfect place to be if you are a democrat. It was even a better place to be if you supported Obama. The mood was positive and energetic. At the same time, it was also peaceful and accepting.

Today, the full moon kicked in and life was back to normal. Well, I guess Obama can't fix the whole world in 24 hours. Drat.

No comments: