Wednesday, May 5, 2010

There is a Season

"To everything, turn, turn, turn..."


I could credit this to the Bible, but I learned this message best from the Byrds. If you don't know what I mean, I couldn't possibly explain myself. Suffice it to say, it was a beautiful song that has stayed with me since I was a teen.

Today, while I was actually enjoying myself at work doing lunch duty, I received a telephone call. I was thinking it might be a parent whose kid was in a bit of trouble, but it was a call from Jones Harrison's executive officer. He called to tell me the Minnesota Office of Elderly Something-or-Other had released the information regarding my Mother's death. He wanted to warn me that a TV station and the local newspaper were going to write articles regarding my Mother's death.

In two days it will be the first anniversary of my Father's death - and the fallout of moving my Mother, selling the house, and her death to all follow in the next six months. I was not ready for this smack in the face.

I immediately went to my boss who stopped everything she was doing to find me the telephone numbers I needed, hook me up with the right people that new how to move and shake, and give me the hug and the afternoon off that I needed. I wanted to stay at work, but she was right - I needed to make some calls and lower my blood pressure.

From work, I first called the TV station that was going to run a story. I got a tad bit of run around, but for the most part they were sympathetic. I asked that they not run the story, and I even pulled the "poor family still in so much mourning" card, but they were not very sympathetic. The story ran, without Mother's name, and without much fanfare. I did not watch it, but Dennis did. He said they mentioned that I had said that she was happy while she lived there.

When I arrived home, the telephone was ringing and it was the Star Tribune, the Minneapolis paper. By this time I was calmer, and asked them to include that we held no animosity towards the facility. The ending article also included that I stated that the staff at the facility was as distraught as the family over the loss.

Today is a new day, and hopefully the beginning of  a new season of letting go and mourning without drama.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

No comments: