Friday, January 29, 2010

A Set Back

Dennis is seriously down in the dumps. Lots of negative talk coming out of his mouth. I am trying to give him space, let him dwell on the latest let-down, and giving him small amounts of positive thoughts to help him move forward.

He found out today that an electric wheel chair might just not be a possibility for him at this moment.

If you read the previous entry, you may have surmised that I did not go on this particular day to see the OT. I had expected just an easy visit, a choice for him to make, and let's call it a day. And that is what Dennis had expected, too. Neither one of us had prepared ourselves for a disappointment.

Since I wasn't there, and Dennis has not shared much with me, I don't have much information. But here is the gist of our conversation after he came home today.

Ann, "How was your day?"
Dennis, "No so ood." (Not so good)
Ann, "What happened?"
Dennis, "I rove ito e al." II drove into walls)
Ann, in a cheery voice, "Oh, don't worry too much about that. I heard just today, from Janet, that her husband also bumped into a few walls in the first few days with his new chair."
Dennis, "I ont ink I can et one." (I don't think I can get one)
Ann, "Oh."
Dennis, "an me i one ease." (Hand me my phone, please)

So I walk out and talk to Raquel. It seems it was a very disappointing visit. He wasn't able to control the chair at all. They will look in to alternatives, but for the moment he is very upset. I walked into his room (his hideout) just before I started writing this. He told me he was a wreck.

I tried more of my cheery talk, but right now he needs alone time. Truth be told, I still my alone time.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

4 comments:

Tom and Janet said...

My father-in-law had trouble with his electric wheelchair when he first got it and was bumping into the walls, etc. It takes a little while to get use to it. We think part of the reason is due to his double vision. He got some prism (trivex) glasses and it seemed to have helped some. In his wheelchair FIL is able to tilt all the way back like a recliner and it has really helped to relieve the pressure on his bum. Unfortunately, he has lost the use of his hands now (this has been almost a year since he got his chair)and we have to wheel him everywhere, but it is much easier than pushing him.
FIL bought a remodeled van to accommodate the wheel chair. The van has a ramp that comes down and his chair is able to lock into place on the floor on the passengers side. If you look on the web you can find used handicap vans in your area.

Ann said...

Thanks, Tom. I think Dennis had problems because he has so little use of his hands - no fine motor skills.

We already are checking into a van, but wanted to wait and see if he was able to use a chair.

We'll see, I guess.

Tom and Janet said...

You may want to check with another physical therapist. Ours knew my Dad couldn't drive well, but also knew how important it would be to have a chair that reclined and was properly padded. It will make life so much easier for the both of you regardless of whether or not your husband can drive it. Our physical therapist was very proactive about making sure all the paperwork was properly filed and followed-through on things. The wheelchair company was also a big help (of course they also want to make the sale, so they're guaranteed to be in your corner). Please know we're praying for you both Ann and Dennis!

Tom and Janet said...

Also, not sure if you're seeing an occupational therapist and/or palliative care, but they can be a big help in coming up with creative ways to help Dennis do things on his own or help you care for him. Palliative care specializes in helping people deal with their disease. We've gotten much more help from them than we have from any doctors.