Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Alone

Dennis' afternoon PCA's car would not start today, so I missed my first Latin Fusion dance class. That's okay, I always hate the first class of anything. But I do wish we could find reliable help. It's not that Susanna does not want to work - she does. She is also excellent when she is here. And both Dennis and I like her, quite a bit, it turns out. But she is a poor young mother, without reliable transportation and we need reliable.

Raquel stayed as long as she could - she had to take her grandmother somewhere - and Dennis was alone for a couple of hours. He used to love this alone time and looked forward to Raquel's 2:30 departure and my homecoming at 5:00. Just this past fall he was alone for up to 3 hours on my work days. But today he called at 4:10, worried and anxious. He does not like being alone anymore.

Or rather, he feels anxious when he is alone.

When I returned home in a record 20 minutes (the roads were marvelous!), he was at the table surrounded by food. The first words out of his mouth were, "I anna o u ed." (I want to go to bed) He kept repeating this while I took off my gloves, coat and boots. I kept assuring him that I would be right with him, as soon as I could.

I can't imagine how this must feel. Abandonment? Fear? Frustration?

Anyway, he is in bed, comfortable, and feeling safe once again. And I am here, recording this teeny incident just in case someone may be interested.

Oh, and he ate a ton of food today - so all is well that ends well.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

1 comment:

Tom and Janet said...

I'm sorry to hear that you have to go through this with your husband and you all are so young! My father-in-law has MSA and has been in an electric wheel chair for about a year now. We have had a lot of in home health care help and have tried a lot of different things to make him more comfortable. Later today when I have time I will read through all your posts, but please know that someone is praying for you both! Blessings, Janet