Saturday, January 23, 2010

ClonazePAM

One of the issues with MSA, and other movement disorders, involves sleep, or the lack there of. The symptoms include thrashing about, screaming and sleep talking. Dennis is not alone in this. I have heard from other care-givers that they have experienced the same problem.

Of course, this results in anyone else in the household from getting a good nights sleep, too.

I have mentioned all of this before, but I mention it again today because of the drug, ClonazePAM. I do not pretend to understand what the drug is all about, but it's a mild narcotic, a muscle relaxant, and also helps minimize the sleep disorders that Dennis exhibits. It also becomes useless after a while, and doses must be increased. It isn't covered my Medicare, but it is relatively cheap.

And I am taking it too.

My doctor prescribed it for me as an anti-anxiety drug, to be taken when I come home from work at night when needed. It does help me relax, let go of work, and focus on Dennis. It also helps me sleep better.

The last time Dennis was in the hospital, his doctor took him off of sleep medications. He felt they were a part of the problem in his infections - breathing, swallowing etc, may be inhibited by sleep drugs. Then we went to California, and for three nights I did not get a decent night's sleep. The fourth night, we both took the drug and we both slept better.

I am not endorsing any drug here. I am simply mentioning that sometimes there are answers out in this world that are simple. This little narcotic, legal narcotic, has improved our lives. There are still nights that Dennis wakes me up, but now I am able to fall back to sleep once again. And for me, that is priceless.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

No comments: