Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Full Moons

When I drove my mother home on Sunday, I looked at the sky with trepidation - the moon was full. I knew that Monday the kids would be full of Halloween sugar and out of sync with life because the moon was in a funky state.

This was one area where my father and I always disagreed. He was unable to accept changes that were not scientifically based. I, on the other hand, embraced new age thinking' at least that stuff that I had been able to view first hand.

I, like dad, used data to determine the past, future and present. The data we collected differed, however. I have data to show that children (at the very least) are behaviorally challenged by a full moon. I have a belief, without personally collected data, that sugar alters behavior. Thus, in my experience and data based thinking, Halloween and a full moon do not mix well.

I do not collect specific data anymore, but this week proved both of my long-term beliefs, based on data, to be true. At least about children, in school settings.

If I had the energy and someone to financially back me, I believe I could show that a full moon, and a seasonal time change, also affect many of us in an adverse manner. Alas, I have neither the energy or the money. So, no one, but those of us that are affected by such small matters, have much say in the matter.

Perhaps we should not have much say. Perhaps there is a reasonable big picture that some of us are incapable of understanding, or have simply not been shown. Perhaps I am simply whining, once again, about something that affects no one but myself.

In the long run, all I really know, and am able to back up, with data, is that candy giving holidays should never coincide with a full moon. And, perhaps, that is enough.

No comments: