Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sunday Woes

Okay, I admit that this post is a complete whine. I am feeling sorry for myself in the biggest way. I also know that I will get over this latest gripe in my life and move on to better things. However, it is my prerogative to whine, and your choice to read or leave this behind.

It is football season. To many, this is a reason to celebrate. For me, it is what hell would look like if I believed in such a place. Ever since the Packers found Lombardi and then Brett Starr, I hated football. It was noisy, too competitive and it irritated the hell out of me. Then, moving to Minnesota during the heyday and the likes of the ladies man, Tommy Kramer, I really began to hate the game.

However, everyone around me seemed to love the game. I learned to deal with one Sunday game, and then the game expanded to Monday nights, then Thursday nights and then Sunday day and night. A girl, like me, can only tolerate so much.

So enter the era of Mother living in Minneapolis, and Dennis being a sports fan. Couple this with Sunday being the day I have selected to have Mother hang with us, and you may find one unhappy Ann for the next few months.

I need to find a way to trick them both into wanting to do anything other than watch football.

Today I read, cooked, cleaned up and started tomorrows dinner during the game. It still was only half time after all of that.

In the meantime, I moved mom and Dennis to and from the table, 3 times. I went for a walk at half time with Mother. I even tried watching the game for a while. But, all I was doing was going a bit nuttier than usual. Always, in the back ground, was this irritating noise, and two people cheering over young boys in peddle pushers throwing a ball around. A few years ago, I could have at least appreciated the beauty of the young boys, but now they simply look like the children with whom I work. Yuck.

I will need to figure out a new plan for next Sunday. Clearly, this one is not working. Wish me luck, please.

Until later
Ann and Dennis

No comments: