Saturday, September 19, 2009

Changes, Care-giving and Other Such Stuff

It is Saturday morning shower time for Dennis. Once we get his poopy butt clean, he sits in an IKEA metal chair for the rest of his shower. At this stage of the shower, I get about fifteen minutes to myself.

We purchased a baby monitor a few months back, and it works like a dream. I no longer have to sit in the bathroom to watch for problems. Then we bought an extension shower head, so he can turn the water off and on by himself. These to simple solutions bring me 15 minutes of peace on Saturdays.

As a care-giver, I have learned to relish these moments of worry free times. Sure, I still need to be here, and yes, I must be attentive, but it still gives me a few minutes of hands off care-giving.

When I was a young teen, I hated baby sitting and decided never to have children. And here I sit enjoying the freedom that a baby monitor gives to me. When I was an older teen, my grandmother, Ho Ho, needed to have help when my grandfather went to work. I adored her, but really did not like looking after someone who needed help. When I first went to college, I wanted to become a nurse, but I found out. I did not really like sick people. Yet, here I am.

Life stands in the way of plans and contradicts our belief systems. I always knew I could never do what I am doing, today. Yet, I suppose I must have been wrong. What do I believe now? I am not sure, not quite yet, but I think that it is much different than what I have always known to be my own reality.

Until later,
Ann and Dennis

1 comment:

vivi3 said...

Hi!

I found this post very interesting! To think that you really decided a long time ago that you didn´t want children..and then you didn´t like sickness and caring for people that are ill..and as you wrote..here you are! Very very interesting! Because you are taking it in stride now and being very sort of pratical about it..almost making it all very "everyday" despite all that happens..almost all the time :) You´ve taken the UFF and the UGH out of it all..and yet you are doing precisely that which you couldn´t and wouldn´t do..or so you thought.

Hmmm..amazing..awesome..unbelievable ..a testimony to being human is what you are...and Dennis too.

I hope that you will be feeling better, Ann, soon. And that Dennis won´t be next :) for both your sakes then :)

Hugs!/iva