Saturday, September 5, 2009

Doctors

Yesterday, I took Dennis to see his Parkinson's doctor. I don't particularly like her. She seems to have forgotten to develop people skills as part of her practice. I think she tries, but being a doctor of some prominence seems to be more important that being there for her patients. In reality, I am sure that this is not true, but this is how she comes off, to me.

Most of the doctors, nurses, and other health care professionals that we have met over the past 5 years have had a very positive impact on me. During our hospital and emergency room visits we have met many caring, selfless, interesting and dedicated staff. At the Mayo, we were impressed with how much time was spent listening to and talking with us by research doctors. The Courage Center welcomes the disabled with so much comfort, no one feels out of place. I could, and probably should, go on and on, but I believe that I have made my point.

There definitely people at the Struther's Clinic that we both do like. Joan, the social worker, and Jean, the Physicians Assistant are both easy to talk to and provide the information that we need. There are others, too, that we both like. Happily, we deal with the "others" much more often than his doctor.

I believe that it is fairly apparent that I value social intelligence more than other types of intelligence. Perhaps I should get over this prejudice of mine and accept her for her expertise. I will think about this.

No comments: