Thursday, March 12, 2009

Saving Milly

Two years ago, Karen, my yoga instructor, loaned me the book, "Saving Milly." The book is the true story of a woman with Parkinson's Plus, and her caregiver husband. I read it and cried through most of the book. I did not tell Dennis about the book, but kept the story that I would not forget to myself.

Today, I stayed home sick. About 1:00 I decided to get out of bed and watch some TV. The movie, Saving Milly, was on one of the many NBC cable affiliate stations. I really wanted to watch the movie, but Dennis was in the kitchen, and could see everything I was watching. I told him about the story and asked him if he was ready to watch it with me.

He was.

At first, the movie seemed to be a comfort to both of us. We are not alone. Then, as the story progressed, and it was apparent she would soon die, we both started to cry. We recognized so much of the present and were given a close snapshot of the future.

When the movie had finished, we both decided that we needed to focus on all the great parts of our lives, the gifts we have been given, and the love we have. Over the next few posts, I will write, once again, about our gifts, our love and all of the greatness in our lives. Thank you for reading, sharing and allowing us to share our lives with you.

No comments: