Tuesday, March 17, 2009

AIG and other stuff

The plans for the AIG bailout were delivered yesterday. The plans stinks. The plan simply underlines the idea that the rich get richer and the rest of us get screwed over. Or, perhaps, as I really believe, the higher you get on the chain of command, the further out of touch with reality you become.

Today I was given the charge of figuring out a prep schedule for next year. Just a rough draft, actually, to see if our school is capable of covering 16 preps (55 contractual minutes of preparation time for each classroom/licensed teacher) with 3.2 people each week. Basically, what the district is asking us to do is cut everyone that is not in the classroom to .8. For me, this is fine, and I take a cut in time happily. But for most people, this is just not going to work.

The money aside, the only way we can provide the classroom teachers with a contractual prep time, is to have each prep provider work .8 each day. Who, in their right mind, wants to work 5 days a week for 7 hours? Maybe for some jobs, this might work, but I doubt this. It is just another way of getting more time from employees for less money.

I am still hopeful, that Obama will find a way out of this financial quagmire that we find ourselves drowning in today. We, at the bottom and the middle of the totem pole, understand that we have a long way to go before we crawl out of this spot. I can only hope, those at the top are able and open to figuring it all out before it is way too late.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Hey Annie! I've missed you!

Have you watched the documentary, Sicko? I wasn't really a fan of Michael Moore but was this film ever an eye-opener! I cried many times while watching it.

I'm so sorry you are having these unnecessary woes. So useless and sad.